Considerations For Picking The Right Backpack
Sure, the choice in style and colour is important, but details such as size and the number of pockets and straps are details that you shouldn’t overlook while choosing the right backpack for you or your child. Finding the best fit is important because it helps to ensure that you or your child is carrying the backpack properly and the weight of the materials inside is distributed evenly. Managing how much weight and how the backpack is worn can help to reduce the possibility of developing back, shoulder, and neck discomfort. Here are some recommendations for making the right choice in backpacks:
Pick it Right:
- Pick a backpack that is the right fit. It should be proportionate to body size. Ideally the bag should not extend above the shoulders or sit below the hips.
- Choose a lightweight material such as canvas or vinyl.
- Get the bag with adjustable and padded straps for the shoulders as well as straps for the chest and around the waist. Also, lots of pockets to help evenly distribute the load.
- If you experience lots of discomfort while wearing a backpack, consider a bag with wheels.
Pack it Light:
- Less is best for your spine! Only pack what you need for the day or activity. If you have access to a locker, take advantage!
- Spread the weight throughout the pack, this is why pockets are ideal.
- Heavier items should be packed towards the back, closer to your body.
Wear it Right:
- Use both shoulder straps and adjust the straps so the backpack fits nice and snug. Only using one shoulder strap is not advised, sorry kids.
- The backpack should ideally sit two inches above the waistline.
- Using the waist strap can help reduce strain on your back by transferring some of the load onto the hips.
Choosing the right backpack can help prevent back pain. If you or your child are experiencing recurring aches and pains, consider seeing a chiropractor. Chiropractors have the ability to assess, diagnosis, and treat various musculoskeletal conditions throughout the body. They also treat all age groups!